Join Our 12-Week Journey to Automation Success: Learn More

Why Are Traditional Automation Tools Stuck in the Cold Storage Of Operations Centers?

Why Are Traditional Automation Tools Stuck in the Cold Storage Of Operations Centers?
September 5, 2014 • Resolve Staffer

Operations centers in Enterprises and Communication Service Providers find themselves drowning in an ocean of incidents and look to automation as a way to handle this glut, without adding staff to the team. Many of these organizations have volume licensing contracts with large technology mega-vendors such as Microsoft, HP, CA or BMC and have unrestricted access to their IT Process Automation products (ITPA) such as HP Operations Orchestrator, CA Process Automation Manager or BMC Atrium Orchestrator.

Take a closer look, and you will see that while these customers have rights to deploy these tools, they are not being deployed and lie in cold storage. Why is this the case time and time again?

The true test of any technology is not only its feature set, but how effectively it solves a business problem. Closed loop automation spanning validation, diagnosis and repair is a powerful component of any incident resolution strategy. However, closed loop automation can only be applied to a small set of incidents that can be handled in this fashion. It is estimated that only about 15% of incidents can be addressed by a fully automated process. A vast majority of the incidents (the remaining 85%) need human intervention to solve the problem. Decisions need to be made in the process that only a human can make, often in collaboration with the right experts given the specific context of the problem. The right automation tool not only works in closed loop scenarios, but also plays a pivotal role in resolution procedures that require a large human component. This is where the traditional mega-vendors have fallen short and made themselves irrelevant in a majority of the incident resolution procedures.

RESOLVE not only provides closed loop automations, but also provides the ability to automate smaller sub-tasks that can be interwoven seamlessly with the manual resolution procedures and tools in RESOLVE. These smaller automations narrow the scope of the problem, run additional context-based diagnostics and repairs, and create and update tickets with the goal of assisting the human to reach the right resolution procedure and close tickets faster. Large operations centers are now acquiring and deploying RESOLVE, leaving behind the mega-vendor IT Process Automation tools right where they are—in cold storage.

Resolve-Staff

About the Author, Resolve Staffer:

This post was written by one of the awesome contributors on the Resolve team.

Recommended Reads

Syniverse Improves Operational Efficiency and Consistently Meets SLAs with Automation

Syniverse Improves Operational Efficiency and Consistently Meets SLAs with Automation

Automating number port requests accelerates service delivery from three minutes to a few seconds.

3 Steps to Deliver ROI and Business Value from IT Automation

3 Steps to Deliver ROI and Business Value from IT Automation

A three-step blueprint to define an IT automation program that delivers ROI and real business value.

Giving the Gift of IT Automation: Our Sweepstakes Winners

Giving the Gift of IT Automation: Our Sweepstakes Winners

We built custom automations for a few lucky customers. Here are the winners of our sweepstakes!