The Configuration Management Database (CMDB) has been around for decades, creating heartache and misery for the IT people tasked with maintaining it. Originally implemented to help track and manage ever-changing IT assets, more often than not, the CMDB is outdated the moment the last keystrokes are made. This eBook explores the checkered past of the CMDB and how automated discovery and dependency mapping (DDM) is helping it overcome its bad reputation to usher in a new era where the CMDB finally delivers on its long-awaited promise.
- Why the CMDB is the cornerstone of successful IT operations and IT service delivery
- The origins of the CMDB
- How the CMDB has evolved over the last 40 years
- Why getting your CMDB right is so important (and so difficult)
- A framework and action plan for CMDB success
- Best practices for getting your CMDB right and keeping it right
- Leveraging new technologies to achieve accurate, up-to-date data
The insights provided in this ebook can help you finally end your CMDB saga — and provide some entertaining history along the way.